Volunteer with PHAN
There are no active volunteer postings. Please check back soon for future opportunities.
Volunteers play an invaluable role at PHAN. The agency and the community benefit from the generosity, skills and dedication of our volunteers, who collectively contribute over 2,000 hours each year. We could not offer our wide range of services without the thousands of volunteer hours donated by committed individuals like you!
We offer many areas in which volunteers can choose where to focus their time and energy.
Board of Directors
Here is your opportunity to strengthen your professional skills, broaden your experience and contribute to an exceptional non-profit organization in the Peel region. Peel HIV/AIDS Network (PHAN) is seeking volunteers who have experience in the following areas: fund development, human resources, finance, policies, and/or governance to join our Board of Directors. As a Board member, you’ll provide strategic leadership and governance, establishes policy and oversee the financial and operational performance of the agency. The Board also oversees that the goals of the agency’s strategic plan are being met.
Working together to improve the health and prosperity of communities in Peel, PHAN’s programs and services support the wellbeing of LGBTQ communities, African Caribbean Black communities, substance users, sex workers and others, with a focus on individuals living with and affected by HIV.
Requirements to be considered for a Board position:
- The ability to serve a for 2-year term, commencing November 2017 and a commitment of approximately 10-12 hours average/month depending on activities
- Participation in monthly board meetings and active participation in at least 1 functional committee (i.e., governance, finance, communications, fund development)
- Participation in development and training opportunities
- Active involvement in and support for fundraising activities, participation in key agency activities
- Participation in external community activities and events that contribute to increasing PHAN’s visibility and reputation and to strengthening programming and revenue generating partnerships
Qualifications to be considered for a Board position:
- At least 5 years of experience in a not for profit/business/corporate environment, preferably at a senior or management level
- Specifically, we are seeking Board members with HR, finance, fund development and policy/governance experience
- We are looking for leaders who think strategically and possess strong interpersonal skills
- Effective listening skills combined with written and verbal communications skills are required
- Ability to work well independently, follow-up on task commitments, and meet deadlines
- We require someone who can think outside the box, offer creative perspectives and is solution-focused while respecting group process and healthy dynamics
- Highly motivated with an interest in PHAN’s areas of focus: HIV, LGBTQ+ health, harm reduction, African, Caribbean, Black health, and sexual health issues
- Previous board experience is an asset but not required as we will train appropriate candidates
Please send your resume and cover letter highlighting interest and relevant experience to our Board Chair:
Mail or drop off: 7700 Hurontario St, Suite 601, Brampton, ON L6Y 4M3
PHAN embraces principles of GIPA/MEPA; applications from people living with HIV and/or from individuals who are members of communities we work with are strongly encouraged to apply. PHAN seeks Board members that reflect the broad diversity of Peel.
Our Harm Reduction Coordinator, Adam, is looking for peer volunteers who have lived experience with substance use to do harm reduction outreach, particularly in distributing safer injection supplies. The program is also open to any volunteers who have a passion for harm reduction and would like to propose a specific project.
GBTQMSM (Gay, Bi, Trans, Queer, Men who have Sex with Men) Men’s Health Promotion
The GBTQMSM program’s volunteers work with our Men’s Health Coordinator, David, and focus primarily on online outreach through various MSM apps and websites, and community outreach through a drop-in program.
All volunteers are expected to uphold PHAN’s values, including confidentiality. If you would like to contribute your time and skills to our organization on a regular, semi-regular, or single event basis, please apply to active postings online.
For more information please contact:
Phillip Banks, Executive Director
Phone: 905-361-0523 Ext. 215