By Julie Schultz, September 8th, 2017 in
Here is your opportunity to strengthen your professional skills, broaden your experience and contribute to an exceptional non-profit organization in the Peel region. Peel HIV/AIDS Network (PHAN) is seeking volunteers who have experience in the following areas: fund development, human resources, finance, policies, and/or governance to join our Board of Directors. As a Board member, you’ll provide strategic leadership and governance, establishes policy and oversee the financial and operational performance of the agency. The Board also oversees that the goals of the agency’s strategic plan are being met.
Working together to improve the health and prosperity of communities in Peel, PHAN’s programs and services support the wellbeing of LGBTQ communities, African Caribbean Black communities, substance users, sex workers and others, with a focus on individuals living with and affected by HIV.
Requirements to be considered for a Board position:
- The ability to serve a for 2-year term, commencing November 2017 and a commitment of approximately 10-12 hours average/month depending on activities
- Participation in monthly board meetings and active participation in at least 1 functional committee (i.e., governance, finance, communications, fund development)
- Participation in development and training opportunitiesActive involvement in and support for fundraising activities, participation in key agency activities
- Participation in external community activities and events that contribute to increasing PHAN’s visibility and reputation and to strengthening programming and revenue generating partnerships
Qualifications to be considered for a Board position:
- At least 5 years of experience in a not for profit/business/corporate environment, preferably at a senior or management level
- Specifically, we are seeking Board members with HR, finance, fund development and policy/governance experience
- We are looking for leaders who think strategically and possess strong interpersonal skills
- Effective listening skills combined with written and verbal communications skills are required
- Ability to work well independently, follow-up on task commitments, and meet deadlines
- We require someone who can think outside the box, offer creative perspectives and is solution-focused while respecting group process and healthy dynamics
- Highly motivated with an interest in PHAN’s areas of focus: HIV, LGBTQ+ health, harm reduction, African, Caribbean, Black health, and sexual health issues
- Previous board experience is an asset but not required as we will train appropriate candidates
Please send your resume and cover letter highlighting interest and relevant experience to our Board Chair by October 1, 2017:
Email: email@example.com Mail or drop off: 7700 Hurontario St, Suite 601, Brampton, ON L6Y 4M3
For more information: www.phan.ca
PHAN embraces principles of GIPA/MEPA; applications from people living with HIV and/or from individuals who are members of communities we work with are strongly encouraged to apply. PHAN seeks Board members that reflect the broad diversity of Peel.